Purpose Passion Reason...live the life


Purpose, passion, reason...live the life...

Why have I given my blog this name?  Well, if I introduce myself it might make things a little clearer....

I am a Christian, which defines me and gives me purpose, passion and reason, but also can make life more complicated as I grapple with life's changes and issues.
I am a female church leader -I have been in ministry for over 15ish years now with my husband, most of that was spent overseas in Central Asia, but more recently back in the UK pastoring an inner city church - not a planned transition. 
These things define me, but something that defines me just as much is being a Mum.  I am a Mum of two; a son who is now 10, and a daughter who is 9 and has special needs. Specifically she has Dystonic hemiplgia (her right side is weak and her right arm and hand doesn't work at all), epilepsy, high functioning ASD and ADHD.  She finds life tough at times, but is an amazing inspiration too and so I find my mind is full with so much to think through.  

There are so many aspects to her needs, medical  - physio, OT, meds, botox, social interaction; schooling - teachers, TAs and how to relate to them as a parent, her interaction with her brother and her peers, academic progress, how to develop and learn to be independent, how do I know if I am giving my son enough attention as my daughter needs so much?, and oh so many more.....
Then I have all the questions of how she fits in to church, and all the faith questions her needs raise in me, and in turn are beginning to rise in her, how do I protect her in an environment where people relate as if they are friends but may have only just met? - very difficult for an Autistic person to understand, how do develop a culture in our church that allows for ASD and ADHD? (which are on the rise and people with these conditions need to be welcome!  Jesus didn't say 'let the children come to me - except those who may not be able to sit still and be quiet!'  No, he was the most counter cultural, accepting of the vulnerable, teacher of the time, and that's what I want my church to be.)
Oh and then there are the many many issues of transitioning a church that has been looking internally for years to a church that is welcoming, open, glad to be sharing Jesus love and wanting to tell others about him because the message that he offers is soooooo good.  And how do I deal with my frustration of supposed mature Christians only being concerned with their own needs and likes being fulfilled?  

Sometimes by head feels such a jumbled mess of questions I feel the need to tease some of them out and pin them down - did someone say pin? - A little addicted to pinterest I have to admit!

So......I thought this might be a useful way to reflect and maybe help some others along the way that are either female Christians, or church leaders, or mums or dealing with children with special needs.  I will muse and journey; it may not be pretty at times, there may be times when the only help I will be is to show you how NOT to do something!!  So if you fancy grappling with some of the questions in my overfull head then jump in and sign up! 
Welcome to my journey, welcome to my world! K x

Comments

Popular Posts