When life gives you lemons....




It has been quite a while since I blogged, in this time we have built a house (well, more Murray than me to be honest!)
Our daughter has started at the local special needs school and our son is in the middle of GCSEs.  Epilepsy and autism still pretty much try to define and dominate our lives and I still stubbornly refuse to let them have that foothold. I am determined that our lives will be defined by the grace and peace we have been given, rather than in what is wrong in the world. Hence we have also started a new ministry - ‘Breathe’, born out of trying to find a way for everyone in our family to worship Jesus - so that the one is not left behind. If you are interested do have a look at our Facebook page (breathecommunities), But this post isn’t about that, so let me move on...


It is Sunday morning, Murray has gone to preach in a local church and we would have gone too, but a long, early morning seizure meant that wasn’t going to happen today.  So I have a number of options:
1. Wallow in self-pity and drink copious amounts of coffee - viable!
2. Run around using the time ‘profitably’ cleaning etc, but not taking rest.
3. Spend some time with God myself and use the quiet as a gift.

As I looked online for a sermon to listen to, I felt God say “Just let me speak to you.” So, having felt a nudge over the last few weeks to look at Ephesians again, here are my notes and thoughts that came, in case you want to journey with me....

So, a tiny bit of background: Paul wrote this letter while he was in prison and it was an open letter to the church (who he describes as holy and faithful). Instead of dealing with specific issues (as some of his letters do) this one is more general (but just as powerful and annointed). There is so much in it to shape up and challenge us!

Eph 1:1-2
The first thing that jumps out was that Paul asks for Grace and Peace to be poured out on them.  These are two words that are bandied around a lot,  it what do they actually mean?



 Grace in particular.  We are told that it is ‘By grace we have been saved,’ our wrongdoings (sin) has been covered. There is a sense of mercy, overlooking, favour.  There is an old acronym used for GRACE: Gained Righteousness At Christ’s Expense.  He sorted it for us, our love and forgiveness from God. It’s received not earned.
So when Paul says ‘grace to you,’ he means our sins are covered and cancelled, there is removal and cleansing that has nothing to do with us.
So when we have (or need to have!) grace for others, what does that mean?
In real terms it means, letting it go, metaphorically saying ‘have one on me!’ Not holding account.  When you walk in and the teenager hasn’t done what you asked her to do, instead of losing it and blasting them.  It’s communicating calmly and thinking ‘ok, have one on me.’ (Not that you shouldn’t go back to it as a teaching moment when you are calmer! 😉)

Peace
I think peace is a little easier to define.  It’s that absence of battle, but for me it’s deeper than that. Within me it’s that deep stillness of mind and heart, it’s tranquility, calm, that can be achieved even when circumstances are not at all at peace. It’s the absence of battle within, congruence.

So Paul is saying that he is praying that ‘through God’ all will be well between our souls and the world, no matter the circumstances surrounding us.

So, that is my prayer for myself (and for you) today, that all will be well between our souls and the world through the grace and peace God provides. Xx


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nUQ58RO6ve4




Comments

Popular Posts